I dream of Harry Bosch

by Michael Alderete on 8/17/2005 · 11 comments

I’ve written how Rochelle and I listen to audio books on our iPods. It’s by far the best way we’ve found to fill commute and other dead time, and I frankly barely use my iPod for music; probably 95% of the time, it’s on for audio books.

The novel that got me well and truly hooked was Lost Light by Michael Connelly. It was one of the highest rated unabridged books on Audible.com in 2004, and Rochelle picked it out on a whim. Mystery genre, highly rated by other listeners, a good narrator on the sample provided. Nothing more complicated than that.

We listened to it on a drive back from LA, and were gripped. When we got home, we dragged our crap into the house, and got immediately into bed with the book playing over the stereo to finish it. It was superb, and remains my favorite audio book.

The best news was that it was the ninth book in an 11-book (and continuing) series about LA homicide detective Harry Bosch. We’ve since acquired all of the other Harry Bosch novels which are available in unabridged format on Audible.com (about half of the total books written)…and all the rest on MP3 CD (I’ll write more about those soon).

Every time I listen to a Harry Bosch novel, especially the ones narrated by Len Cariou, I have Harry Bosch dreams, and can hear the narrator’s voice in my head for weeks. Highly, highly recommended.

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

Margeaux August 22, 2005 at 4:08 pm

I am fascinated and frankly really happy to hear about people who chose to listen to lit on the iPod rather than ( or in addition to ) music. Cool. Thanks for posting. You encouraged my day

Hoonza October 2, 2005 at 2:42 pm

Another Harry Bosch fan, cool. I dumbed into him about 6mo ago and am listening to them one at a time on my ipod. Love a good Harry Bosch mystery. Thanks for your advise about loading mp3 books on my ipod, I was wondering how I was going to handle them.

Hoonza

japes January 8, 2006 at 8:14 pm

I first discovered Harry Bosche while stuck at my mother-in-laws one night about 4 years ago. Lucky for me she has a large collection of books. I grabbed Black Echo (the first one) and never put it down. I have the first 4 books bt limited time to read them I have only read the first 2. Then came the ipod.

Audiobookstand.com also has a lot of the unabridged versions CD and MP3CD so maybe you can find the rest of the ones you want there. Their prices are also exceptional. I picked up Trunk Music for $19.

Ben Sayer January 15, 2006 at 8:43 pm

I’ll definitely give it a listen—Thanks for the tip!

As an Audible.com user, you may be interested in a little consumer action I’m starting regarding their recent plan changes. Here’s a link to my blog about it: http://bsayer.wordpress.com/2006/01/12/audiblecom-gets-complicated/.

Alderete January 15, 2006 at 10:16 pm

@Ben Sayer: I don’t think this is a change from the old plan. I recall noticing that our plan was for credits, and being concerned that that would translate to fewer than two books a month, etc. But as we continued to add books to our Wish List, all of which were one credit (even War and Peace!), I stopped worrying about it.

Not saying Audible.com won’t raise their prices at some point, but I suspect it’ll be the monthly fee, not the amount of credits required for a book.

Joe Apfel October 17, 2006 at 2:35 pm

I have purchased MP3 CDs of the first three Bosch stories and would like to trade them for more recent Bosch stories in same format. Any suggestions? joe.1501@sbcglobal.net

Alderete October 17, 2006 at 5:08 pm

@Joe: You might try eBay, sell off the old ones and buy the new ones. There are also some book swapping services, such as “BookMooch”:http://bookmooch.com which might also do audiobooks. (Personally, I just went ahead and bought all the Harry Bosch books that were not on Audible.com. I know I’m going to want to re-listen to them at some point, and probably more than once…)

Barry February 24, 2008 at 9:48 am

I loved Lost Light. I think it could be the best one. And I’ve read them all. Harry became human.

Gagan May 26, 2012 at 8:10 am

This is terrible but auookbiods are expensive and I can’t justify the cost. So I also use my library. I’m actually jealous of those who get the older titles (like Lolita read by Jeremy Irons!) because my library seems to focus on YA titles or new hot releases. But love overdrive makes things so easy, huh?Trishb4s last post ..

Brady July 14, 2008 at 10:44 am

I’ve listened to most of the Bosch novels also. One question: Harry Bosch is a veteran homicide detective, yet he seems to be clueless in the physical presence of danger. I can’t count the number of times he’s been in the same room with the bad guy, then ended up on his back. It really got bad in “The Narrows”, when Backus was able to jump out of a window in less time than it took Harry to pull the trigger of his gun. What’s wrong with him?

LindaJ August 9, 2008 at 7:43 am

I think the entire series is now available at Audible. I have always loved this character and I am starting at the beginning again because it is so wonderful to listen to the spoken version. I finished The Black Echo and am now on The Black Ice.

Linda J